slideshow header

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Top Pic

In honor of my new tradition of sharing a favorite pic with you from the week, here is this week's "top pic".  We recently took Liam to the barber to get his first professional haircut.  Let me explain two things about that last sentence....1.  Liam had his first official haircut by his Nana (and before that I was trimming any stray hairs).  2.  Kyle has always gone to a barber to get his hair cut.  He insists that a barber does a better job.  (I think he likes the nostalgia of a barber shop)  So, of course we had to take Liam to a barber. 

So, we went to the barber as one happy cranky family.  One thing I learned about barber shops on this day - ya never know how long you are going to wait!  We got there around 11 am and waited, and waited and waited and then it turned to lunch time/nap time.  And my son is not shy about his hunger pains or his need for sleep.  Which brings me to the cranky part.  Lucky for us there was a Burger King close by and I got the kiddo some milk and apple fries and he was a happy camper for a while after that (with the exception of wanting to play in other people's cut hair on the floor and getting mad at me and Kyle for not allowing him to do so.  Gross.) 

And the reason we were waiting so long?  Apparently, everyone at this barber shop insists that there is one barber that rises above the others in skill.  My husband has also been charmed by this barber.  He will not get his hair cut by anyone else.  So, of course Liam had to get his hair cut by this legendary barber named "Doe".  And the 5 people in-line before us felt the same way....even though there were two other barbers in the shop with time to kill.  But, I understand - who wants messed up hair?

So, finally after chasing Liam through the barber shop, taking him for short walks outside (to keep him away from other people's hair), feeding him Burger King, reading "Hop on Pop", waiting almost an hour total- we got to experience "Doe the Barber".  And I must admit, he was pretty darn good.  He got eye-level with our son to smile and talk to him.  He was quick yet calm and smooth.  He paid attention to detail.  He let Liam test out some of his "tools of the trade".  By the end of the haircut, Liam was also charmed by Doe.  But, probably just because Doe gave him a sucker.

And what do I think about this whole experience?  Good hair-cut!  Great barber!




But, I think I will just cut it myself next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment